SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 23:46:45 -0700
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:34 PM, g <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> greetings,
>
> in one of my system boxes, i have scientific linux 5.2, fedora 8 and 10,
> installed to ext3 fs, mandrake 2008 and '/home' installed to reiserfs.
>
> i access reiserfs from fc8, f10 and md2k8, and i need to access reiserfs
> from sl5.2.
>
> i have check with yum for a reiserfs package, but find none thru repos.
>
> is there a package available that i can install to allow sl5.2?
>
> reformatting is not a practical option.

You might want to try out a kernel module package for reiserfs
available from ElRepo:

http://elrepo.org

Follow the instructions to set up this repository and then issue a command:

yum --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-reiserfs

All kmod packages in this directory are kernel version independent
(kABI-tracking) - meaning there is no need to reinstall for each
kernel update.  They were built by Alan Bartlett who is also in the
Scientific Linux community.

I did a test install of kmod-reiserfs on a SL5.3 x86_64 system.  It
loaded fine with:

modprobe reiserfs

I then update the kernel to the latest and it survived the update.
Please note that I do not have a Reiser filesystem to test with.  So I
could only test loading / unloading the module.  I would appreciate it
if you could give it a try and let us know if this works for you.

If you need to uninstall it, it will be as easy as typing:

rpm -e kmod-reiserfs

Hope this helps,

Akemi