SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
"Avetisyan, Aram" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avetisyan, Aram
Date:
Thu, 28 May 2009 01:48:21 -0400
Hello,

I have just formatted my hard drive and installed SL5.3 from scratch. Everything (even the wireless!) more or less works now except that there is a minor issue with Skype. I followed the advice in one of the previous emails on this subject and installed Skype using

yum localinstall skype-2.0.0.72-centos.i586.rpm

after downloading the RPM from the Skype website. The audio works, but the camera does not. When I try to test it, it gives me the following:

Skype V4L2: Could not find a suitable capture format
Skype V4L2: Could not find a suitable capture format
Starting the process...
Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 32
Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
Skype Xv: Using Xv port 224
Skype Xv: No suitable overlay format found

The webcam is a Chicony Electronics USB camera. It looks like there exists a driver for it, (it is labeled USB 2.0 Camera /dev/video0 in Skype), but I don't know how to get Skype to work with it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

-- Aram