SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2009

From:
Nicola Maggi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicola Maggi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 12:05:52 +0200
Hello to everyone,
I have a Scientific Linux CERN 4 installation and I need to control an
usb device with it.
My device is an Opal Kelly FPGA with an usb interface.
I need to access it from some c++ code.
In the FPGA user manual they say:
__________
The Linux installation requires the addition of one file to the directory:

   60-opalkelly.rules ----->  /etc/udev/rules.d/

This file includes a generic udev rule to set the permissions on all
attached Opal Kelly USB devices to allow user access.  Once this file is
in place, you will need to reload the rules by either rebooting or using
the following command:

   /sbin/udevcontrol reload_rules
__________
I successfully copied the file into rules.d/ but I still have some problem.
I don't have the /sbin/udevcontrol application:
all the application with udev in their  name are:
udevinfo
udevtest
start_udev
udev
udevd
udevstart
udevstart.static
udev.static
udev_colume_id

the file 60-opalkelly.rules is pasted at the and of this mail.
How do I make the system load this rule manually?
If I reboot while the device is connected everything works fine,
except that I can only access the FPGA with root priviledges. Any way
to allow users to use it?
Thank you in advance,
Nicola Maggi

# udev rules file for all Opal Kelly VID matches.
# This file allows udev to change the mode to 666 (all read/write)
# for any Opal Kelly VID.
#

# For FedoraCore 5 and similar:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", SYSFS{idVendor}=="151f", MODE="0666"

# For FedoraCore 7 and similar:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="151f", MODE="0666"