SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 13:39:55 +1100
Hi,

> Why, what is your threat model that you have to do this?

Thanks for your reply. Basically, we're managing the infrastructure for a
client, but not the (web) apps.

The client has insisted his developers need SSH access. After quite some
discussion, we provided it.

The client has multiple developers and himself hosts for different clients, so
multiple SSH accounts are being provided to multiple developers.

They really only need access to their home directories, they don't need access
to the main server filesystem etc.

The new OpenSSH version makes this easier than other chroot hacks I've seen,
in that it uses sftp libraries to provide the chroot'ed ssh environment. So no
need to copy all libraries for each ssh command that is needed to be used in
the environment and then having an upgrade headache when OpenSSH needs to be
updated.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------