SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Chris O'Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris O'Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:27:42 -0400
On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 08:56 -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> But asking for every package that you want to be in the main SL
> distribution is not the way to do it.  Every package we add, adds work
> to us, and not just one time work, but work for 5 to 7 years in the
> future as we maintain that package.

I would like to add my two cents.

We are currently in the process of switching to SL from the vendor who
shall not be named. We've chosen SL because it closely resembles the
original distribution. We have hardware and software that only supports
this flavour of Linux. Any deviation could lead us into a situation
where we get no support from our vendors should an incompatibility arise
(particularly if it works fine with the original).

Most people using the Enterprise Linux (EL) line of distros are doing so
because they want a stable Linux operating system that will be supported
for many years. The third-party repos are there to provide additional
functionality _if_ you choose to deviate from the base.

Quite frankly, if you are looking for a Linux distro that has all the
latest bells and whistles packed in one nice container then EL is
probably not for you; consider Fedora or Ubuntu (or one of the many
other distributions) instead.

Chris