SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:56:14 -0500
Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

>> May idea was not to have too many packages on the LiveCD
>> which are not part of SL. Since they will be never updated later,
>> if the LiveCD is installed or maybe even worse, they will break
>> future updates of an installed LiveCD.
>
> Well, the idea was that you _would/could_ convince the others to *add* them as part of SL!
> -- gqview and rxvt-unicode are in EPEL, they could be trusted enough, and rebuilding them for SL shouldn't be a pain. (Normally, EPEL doesn't always mix well with Rpmforge AFAIK, so it shouldn't be enabled on a regular basis.)
> -- xfe depends on fox-1.6, which doesn't evolve. Both of them could be rebuilt for SL, tested by several people (they're stable and they *do* work), and rebuilt for SL5.4, etc. IMHO, the SL team has added to SL packages that are much more trickier than these two!

As the person who ends up maintaining all those packages that get put
in, I believe I will comment.
Just putting packages in at random by random people just doesn't make sense.
You might not have noticed that you've already changed your mind three
times in your e-mails as to what packages you want, and your list just
keeps growing.

That is the reason that we have atrpms and the dag repositories
installed by default.  They are not enabled by default, but they are
there so that you can enable them quickly.  You can also add the EPEL
repository with one command
   yum install yum-conf-epel
and then you can install any package from EPEL that you want with no
problem at all.

Testing out new packages and getting your machine the way you want it is
great.  That's what we want.
But asking for every package that you want to be in the main SL
distribution is not the way to do it.  Every package we add, adds work
to us, and not just one time work, but work for 5 to 7 years in the
future as we maintain that package.

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group