SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
"Bly, MJ (Martin)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bly, MJ (Martin)
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 21:26:13 +0000
Inline...

Yes, correct.

> NB a notice to
> this list could also ensure that correct entries for a cell
> are provided
> with any default SL installation, independent of the pace at
> grand.central.

Noted.  We can post any future changes here though we don't expact to
change again in the near future.

Do you want us to let you know personally, Stephan?

> Of course it's still up to Connie and Troy to accept such
> changes. Even
> though they are quite minor, they still mean rebuilding and
> pushing out a
> lot of packages.
>
> > Standard practice is usually to overwrite any RPM supplied
> CellServeDB
> > with the grand.central.org version, or with one of your own
> crafting, if
> > the RPM supplied version gets too far out of date.
>
> Right. I wonder whether the CellServDB (and maybe ThisCell, and maybe
> more) should be split out into something like
> openafs-client-config to
> make it easier for sites to customize the client and for SL to update
> CellServDB without having to push out a whole set of packages?

We have our own local RPM that overwrites CellServeDB - we update it
various intervals to try and keep it in step, usually when someone
notifies usof a problem.  But thinking about it, the openafs updates may
be more frequent and overwrite our version in turn.  Hmmm.   Needs some
thinking...

> > The old server address is still active at RAL as a virtual
> address on
> > one of the new servers (the old machine has been retired
> with prejudice
> > after too many years server - no flowers), so if you use the
> > single-server config, it should still work.  (For a while -
> I need the
> > i/p address back, so at some point after grandcentral catch up, I'll
> > reclaim it.)
>
> An advance notice to this list would be much appreciated.

Noted.  I don't expect to have to do this for a month or two at the
present rate of use of IP space.

Regards,
	Martin.
--