SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:40:51 -0500
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.  It is a bit long, but it is some good feedback.
If you don't mind, I'm going to snip some parts, and just answer the
parts that I quickly know the answer to.

Radu-Cristian Fotescu wrote:

> ** Question #1: Can one perform an X install with IceWM by only using the
>
> disc1? (SL.53.031909.CD.i386.disc1.iso)

No, icewm is rarely on disk1.

> ** Issue #2: Maybe I'm dumb, but the installed system was with autologin
> on
> sluser. As I am not used with autologins under Linux, I pathetically fail
> ed
> to change this behavior. What should I have done? Can't this default
> behavior be changed?

You need to run
   gdmsetup
and in the security tab you can change this behavior

> ** Issue #3: Performing the full 5.2->5.3 update retrieves the kernel
> 2.6.18-128, but xfs-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.i686 is not pulled in, so booting
> the
> new kernel leads to a panic. Should I take it as a bug?

I'm still working on the writeup for using yum to go from 5.2 (or newer)
to 5.3.  The problem with xfs is that it changed to xfs-filesystem,
because people would try to install xfs and get xfs from xorg.  Try

   yum install xfs-filesystem

> ** Issue #4: I noticed that on mini_livecd, IceWM has a limited menu,
> corresponding to the installed X apps. On the installed system, once I ad
> ded
> some more apps, only GIMP was automatically added to the IcewM menu. Is t
> his
> normal? I've seen on Debian a fully-populated IceWM menu! Should I force
> the
> reinstallation of IceWM from the repos, or should I install from the
> official CD-set (with Anaconda), would IceWM behave differently?

It is the same icewm on the mini-cd as on the main distro.
Our version of icewm doesn't have the gnome-menu's (actually, I don't
think it's called gnome-menu's anymore, but I forget the new name).  The
reason is/was that when we compiled icewm with those menu's turned on,
it pulled in all sorts of dependencies, and when you tried to install
it, instead of the install being less than 1 Meg, it was 20 Meg.

> P.S. Is SL 5.3 Live planned to happen any time ever?

Hopefully it will be up by the end of the week.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group