SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:10:42 +0000
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

<snip>
> I'm looking into this.
> The original RHEL5 x86_64 had both perl.i386 and perl.x86_64.  I know we had
> left the perl.i386 in SL 5.2 because of this upgrade problem.
> But with Update 3, there were several packages that changed arch, so I really
> need to update the update page, with more than just the perl update.  I'll be
> doing that today.  But for now, here is how to do it
>
> 1 - update files in your yum.repos.d directory
> 2 - yum clean all
> 3 - yum update yum
> 4 - yum remove perl.i386
> 5 - yum update glibc
> 6 - yum update
>
> There will actually be 3 or 4 more steps because there are some other
> packages that are troublesome.  I'll reply to this when I have it done.

In case it isn't already on your list I'm seeing something odd with dbus,
on a fresh install of sl53 on x86_64 I seem to get an old version of
dbus.i386 because the latest version (which seems to be in the x86_64
tree) clashes over a config file...

I think I now want dbus-libs.i386, dbus-glib.i386 rather than dbus.i386
but getting this to happen on fresh installs will be easier than for
upgrades (I assume)...

I'm just about to test again after adding the following to our kickstart
packages config for x86_64 on sl53:

# dbus got split up and we do not want the i386 version on x86_64 any more
-dbus.i386
dbus-libs.i386
dbus-glib.i386

There will be a few other tweaks we need e.g. because suitesparce is now
included as standard and replaces our old ufsparse package...

  -- Jon