SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:14:01 -0500
Hello,
We released SL 5.3 yesterday, and now ftp.scientificlinux.org is running
a little slow.  So it is possible that some people are going to get
time-out's when they do yum updates.
I apologize, but at the moment, there isn't alot I can do but wait for
the wave to pass over.

If you are wondering about the load on the machine (this is a dual
opteron machine, just one core per processor)

ftp.scientificlinux.org
Load: 1550 (fluxuating between 1500 and 1600)
http connections: 258
ftp connections: 3166
rsync connections: 15

The one thing that has me concerned is the rsync connections.  People
really should change their scripts to move to rsync.scientificlinux.org
instead of ftp.scientificlinux.org.
rsync.scientificlinux.org has an IP address of 131.225.110.33
It only has 14 current rsync connections, and from the network graphs,
it is getting alot more throughput simply because it isn't bogged down.

rsync.scientificlinux.org
Load: 2
rsync connections: 14

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group