SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:59:18 -0500
Hi,
The kernel will be going out today.  It appears to be fine.

As far as the upgrade via anaconda, I do know that it works, but I do
not really know how messy it will be.  That largely  depends on your
customizations.
Personally, I always save things off and do a fresh install, and only
put back what has to be put back.  But that is a personal preference.

RedHat has a very nice document on package changes between 4 and 5

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/release-notes/package-changes.html

Troy

Winnie Lacesso wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Ever since RHEL released kernel-2.6.9-78.0.17 on 12 March I've been
> expecting it to be available for our SL4 machines - but nothing yet.
>
> In looking at the Kent mirror, kernel-2.6.9-78.0.17 appears in
> 40rolling/${basearch}/errata/SL/RPMS dated 13 March, but not in SL44 to 47,
> or 4x (presumably 4x is just a pointer to 47)
>
> Is there some problem with kernel-2.6.9-78.0.17 that it's not released for
> SL44 to 47?
>

> Also, has anyone done an upgrade SL4 => 5 via anaconda? Is it clean
> or messy, recommended or disrecommended?
>
> On a test machine long ago I did SL3 => SL4 upgrade via anaconda & it was
> messy. Too much had changed, the cleanup from 3 to 4 left a lot of old SL3
> cruft about, so decided fresh SL4 rebuild for our SL3 servers.
> Now we have more SL4 servers, so if upgrade to SL5 via anaconda is
> acceptably tidy we could try - if it's tidy it will be less work than
> complete rebuild & chase down cumulative config tweaks... as you do.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group