SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:33:32 -0500
Steve Traylen wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Currently you must be running something along the lines of
>
>    createrepo  ..../linux/scientific/52/i386
>
>  to generate the YUM metadata?
>
>  Please could you consider adding a '-d' option as well.
>
>  createrepo -d  ..../linux/scientific/52/i386
>
>  this creates all the existing meta data but also the
>  sqlite files as well. The advantage of this is the subsequent
>  yum queries are significantly faster.
>
>  Clearly the same would have to  be applied for all sl5x repositories to
>  be sensible.
>
>  The other reason is that the "mergerepos" script used by very recent versions
>  of koji would then be able to make use of the SL repositories as an
> external repository.
>
>  Unfortunately the -d option is not available in the sl4 version
>  of createrepo nor does yum make any use of those files. For the koji
>  reasons above though the sqlite data would be useful but clearly I understand
>  why you may not want to do that.
>
>  Many Thanks.
>
>   Steve

Hi Steve,
I'm looking into this.
It's not the hard to change the scripts, but the machine that does the
errata is SL4, and it's version of createrepo doesn't have the -d
option.  If I remember right, we've tried to update this machine's
creatrepo to a newer version but something didn't work right.
Anyway, the answer isn't no, at least for the errata, fastbugs, and
contrib.  But it's something we'll have to look into.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group