SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:37:23 +0100
Hi Ken,

In the LiveCD initrd I probe for modules needed to access CD/DVD ROMS
(IDE, SATA), USB disks/sticks and network cards (in case of a diskless
client).
https://svn.iac.ethz.ch/pub/livecd/trunk/linux-live.sl/initrd/linuxrc
https://svn.iac.ethz.ch/pub/livecd/trunk/linux-live.sl/initrd/liblinuxlive

The SATA part is very simple, I just load libata, ata_piix, ahci,
sata_nv, sata_svw, sg, ... This seems to be good enough for most DVD/CD
ROMS connected over SATA. Of course I would be interested in a more
"intelligent" way to load the sata modules.

Concerning the detection of the network card. I did it on older LiveCDs
with a statically compiled lspci (running under busybox) and some grep
commands looking in the file pcitable for the correct module. The static
lspci is still available in
https://svn.iac.ethz.ch/pub/livecd/trunk/linux-live.sl/initrd/static-binaries/

However, pcitable was always out of date and the modules could support
more cards than listed in pcitable. Therefore I decided to do it with
brute force. Now, I load a network module, check if I see an active
link. If not, I unload the module again and load the next network module
... and so on. This is fast and works nicely.

Cheers,

    Urs