SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:39:59 -0500
Hi Troy,

I'm looking for something more basic.  I'm trying to craft an init script
for an initrd image to load appropriate drivers.  Nothing fancy.  Just the
basics.  Like what sort of hard drives are on the system.  SATA or IDE?  The
SATA issue confuses me since there is a plethora of SATA drivers.  Does the
init script have to try each one to see if it finds a match or is there
something in /proc or /sys that provides some identification?

The only tool I have in my initrd image is busybox and it doesnt have an
lspci equivalent.  The /proc system contains a subdirectory that lists all
devices on PCI but as bus.device files.  I tried cat'ing the files but they
are not ascii.  I'm guessing it's possible to walk these files to extract
the information I need.  I can dig deeper but to save time, I'd ask if
someone already knows the answer.

Ken