SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2009

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 08:56:04 +0900
Chris Hunter wrote:
>> Date:    Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:38:54 +0900
>> From:    John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: my ongoing battle with large filesystems
>>
>> Troy Dawson wrote:
>>> John Summerfield wrote:
>>> ...snip...
>>>>
>>> This isn't really answering Miles questions, but I thought it was
>>> good to know for the conversation, and sorta answers John's. question.
>>>
>>>  From RedHat's documentation on the limits of various things
>>> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/
>>>
>>> For RHEL 5 (and hense SL 5)
>>>
>>> **i386**
>>> Max Filesize (ext3) - 2TB
>>> Max Filesystem Size (ext3) - 8TB
>>>
>>> **x86_64**
>>> Max Filesize (ext3) - 2TB
>>> Max Filesystem Size (ext3) - 16TB
>>>
>>> Troy

On reflection, I don't trust Troy's answer. It implies on-disk formats
are different. He might be right, but I'd wish for confirmation.

>> The limits depend on the block size.
>
> Any ideas limits for NFS ? Does it depend on blocksize ? client
> architecture (ie. 32/64 bit) ?

I have no information, just speculation.
The first limit would be determined by the server.
inodes point to blocks, and may contain additional pointers to more
lists of blocks, but the number of blocks is a signed 32-bit int, giving
a maximum number of 2^31-1 blocks.

The actual file size this represents depends on the block size used in
the filesystem. Note too, that these block numbers apply both to a file
and to the filesystem.

NFS can export a filesystem along with any other filesystems mounted
within it. However, the limits above still apply.

Research:
http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+inode&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inode_pointer_structure
http://lwn.net/Articles/187321/
Note, the next site may be blocked by some corporate firewalls. I recall
it coming up on one of our lists.
http://www.angelfire.com/myband/binusoman/Unix.html

Note that POSIX rules apply to Linux.

--