SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 00:10:41 +0000
On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>>  On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>> >  Hmmm ... you are correct and this is troubling to me.
>> >
>> >  On a plain SL 5.2 machine, freshly installed, using our alpine 1.10.  I
>> >  fired up pine, as a regular user, and was able to send an email with no
>> >  extra configuration.
>> >
>> >  On a plain SL 5.3 machine (for i386 and x86_64), freshly installed,
>> >  using out alpine 2.00.  I fired up pine as a regular user.  In both
>> >  cases I got "Error sending:  No default posting command"
>> >
>> >  I believe the comment that the one could have been built in an
>> >  enviroment without sendmail can be correct.  For alpine 2.00 we built it
>> >  in a moch (chroot) enviroment.  And although I don't ususally, I might
>> >  have built alpine 1.10 on a regular system that had sendmail installed.
>> >
>> >  I'm going to try out that theory, and hopefully have a resolution in a
>> >  few hours.
>>
>>  Thanks.
>>
>>  Jon Peatfield suggested to me that we could add
>>  BuildRequires: smtpdaemon
>>  (or possibly
>>  BuildRequires: /usr/sbin/sendmail
>> )  to pull sendmail in at build time ...
>>

> I put in
>
> BuildRequires: sendmail-devel
>
> and it looks like everything is working now on my tests.  The new version
> will be in RC 2, which should be out today or tomorrow.
>
> I put in sendmail-devel because all the documentation says that sendmail is
> the default, and if smtpdaemon or something else pulls in something like
> postfix, I wasn't positive that it would work.
>
> Checking the dependancies, it doesn't require the actual sendmail package,
> only /usr/sbin/sendmail

I just went looking for a precident, and found that the emacs specfile
includes a 'BuildRequires: sendmail' to ensure that it configures properly
(ie to ensure it will find the path to 'a sendmail').

I'm a bit puzzled that this is preferable to using the more generic
smtpdaemon but so be it :-)

I really must get round to setting up a moch enviroment for my local
builds - I've already managed to mess up a couple of packages by building
them on machines which had some strange extra stuff installed on them.

  -- Jon