SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 16:10:08 -0600
March 02, 2009
The second release candidate for Scientific Linux 5.3 i386 has been
released for both i386 and x86_64.

We do not have CD or DVD images, but we should have them soon.

Release Candidate 2 has everything the way it should be, including yum
and updates going to their proper place.  We will then let it sit for
almost two weeks as it get's it's final testing and pounding.

If all goes well, we will incorporate any changes and release Release
Candidate 2.5 somewhere around March 10 or 11.  Release Candidate 2.5 is
essentially the release and will only be changed if something critical
or major happens.

DOWNLOAD INFO

     ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/i386
     ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/x86_64

CHANGES by Scientific Linux
**alpine
**    Added Buildrequires: sendmail-devel so it would build
**    knowing about sendmail.
**i386
**	alpine-2.00-2.el5.i386.rpm
**x86_64
**	alpine-2.00-2.el5.x86_64.rpm

**sl-release
**    Updated sources to point to 53
**    Updated release notes to the latest notes
**i386
**	sl-release-5.3-1.i386.rpm
**	sl-release-notes-5.3-1.noarch.rpm
**x86_64
**	sl-release-5.3-1.x86_64.rpm
**	sl-release-notes-5.3-1.noarch.rpm

**yum-cron
**    yum-cron is the yum-cron from epel.  yum-cron has a different cron
**    script than is provided in yum-autoupdate.
**i386 and x86_64
**	yum-conf-53-1.SL.noarch.rpm

**yum-conf
**    Updated yum-conf to point at 53
**i386 and x86_64
**	yum-conf-53-1.SL.noarch.rpm

We have also added the latest fastbugs and security updates.

DOCUMENTATION CHANGES in Release Notes
alpine
**This version of alpine when it writes to a large old Unix mailbox
** format email area can be very slow.  The best solution to this is
** to convert your old Unix mailbox files to "mix" format mail files.
**
** More info can be obtained from
**
**      Evaluation of file formats:
http://mailman2.u.washington.edu/pipermail/alpine-info/2008-July/000971.html
**      Problem description:
http://mailman2.u.washington.edu/pipermail/alpine-info/2009-February/thread.html#1658
**      Conversion :
http://www.phwinfo.com/forum/comp-mail-imap/198358-mailutil-mix-file-size.html

LIMITATIONS
**Graphical Desktop
**After doing a clean install, sometimes the monitor isn't configured
** properly and Xorg.conf does not contain all required information.
** Result is a garbled display when entering runlevel 5.
**Workaround: After the installation, reboot the system normally and
** run the firstboot utility.  Reboot the system into runlevel 3.
** Log in as root and run system-config-display and configure the
** display manually.