SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2009

Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:17:21 +0100
I have tested SL5.3RC1 on my Proliant testserver with sata RAID
configuration (Promise FastTrak Sata150) and was pleased to see that
SL had little trouble with it (where Fedora 11 alpha (!), Debian 5.0
and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 failed to detect and configure
it). RHEL, SL and CentOS seem to have no problems with it (SUSE
complained that only a 2.4 kernel would support it, a 2.6 kernel would
not?!?).

One thing I came across (just with previous versions of RHEL, SL,
CentOS, etc.) is the problem that not all monitors are
automatically/correctly detected. This results in problems when you
reboot into graphical mode after the installation (firstboot has no
problems). Details are in the bugreport
(https://www.scientificlinux.org/bug.feature/bugs/15/pcng_issue_view).
Would it be an idea to make notice of this in the release notes
(section "Issues"?).

I do not mention this bug (again) to argue with people who don't seem
to have this problem (and keep informing me I have something
isolated), but rather because the new Fedora 11 alpha seems to solve
this problem by introducing a "install with default driver" option
with the grub menu on their installation dvd. That was a good idea,
because where RHEL/SL/CentOS didn't give me graphical problems during
install, the new Fedora did also mess up my graphics during the
graphical installation (unless I selected the "default driver"
option).

Hope it is helpful.

Regards,
Patrick