SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:34:48 -0600
Troy J Dawson wrote:
> Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:
>>
>>> February 12, 2009
>>> The secpmd beta release for Scientific Linux 5.3 i386 has been released
>>> for both i386 and x86_64.
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> CHANGES by Scientific Linux
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> **ALPINE
>>> **  Updated to the latest version
>>> **  Our version of alpine 2.00 has the following changes compared to
>>> **  our 1.0 version
>>> **  An /etc/alpine/pine.conf.sample file is installed, no longer
>>> **    overwriting an existing pine.conf  Therefore an existing pine.conf
>>> **    in /etc/alpine will be left untouched even after the upgrade. For
>>> **    an installation from scratch it is advantageous to copy the sample
>>> **    conf file to pine.conf, but alpine works also without it.
>>> **    Users are now able to use a .alpine.passfile
>>>  i386:
>>> **	alpine-2.00-1.el5.i386.rpm
>>>  x86_64:
>>> **	alpine-2.00-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
>> Just a heads-up for now (more when I've got to the bottom of it)
>> but for installations where alpine uses sendmail to send the mail
>> alpine-2.00-1 is not a dropin replacement for v1.10.
>>
>> I'm used to using
>> smtp-server=
>> to tell alpine to use sendmail, but this doesn't work with the
>> alpine-2.00-1.el5.x86_64 package. I think I'll have to use
>> sendmail-path=/usr/sbin/sendmail ...
>>
>> This part of the alpine documentation hasn't changed since v1.10.
>> Is it a change in the package ?
>>

> Besides in the alpine.conf, where was this documented?
>
> Thanks
> Troy

Hmmm ... you are correct and this is troubling to me.

On a plain SL 5.2 machine, freshly installed, using our alpine 1.10.  I
fired up pine, as a regular user, and was able to send an email with no
extra configuration.

On a plain SL 5.3 machine (for i386 and x86_64), freshly installed,
using out alpine 2.00.  I fired up pine as a regular user.  In both
cases I got "Error sending:  No default posting command"

I believe the comment that the one could have been built in an
enviroment without sendmail can be correct.  For alpine 2.00 we built it
in a moch (chroot) enviroment.  And although I don't ususally, I might
have built alpine 1.10 on a regular system that had sendmail installed.

I'm going to try out that theory, and hopefully have a resolution in a
few hours.

Thanks for letting us know about this.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group