SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Craig Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:29:04 +0100
I hope this is the right forum for this. I'm having a major problem with
Scientific Linux. I believe the problem may be due to scim_bridge im
agent but I am not sure. It seems that if I try to run any GUI programs
like: firefox, gedit, gthumb, etc... I get warning/error messages like
the following:
$ gedit
Another agent is running...
Failed to allocate the agent. Exitting...
Failed to invoking the agent: No such file or directory
Cannot launch the agent
The messenger is now down
An IOException occurred at
scim_bridge_client_imcontext_set_cursor_location ()
[...]

gedit seems to run fine despite the error messages. However, with
firefox, it sometimes causes my system to suddenly log me out
completely! When my system logs out (unintentionally) I see some
vertical green lines and then I'm dumped to the log in screen. It is
especially irritating when I have work that I have not saved.

I was going to log a bug at the SL website, but it seems that
registration for new members has been disabled. If anyone out there
knows how I can fix this issue, then I would really appreciate it.

Here is some info regarding my system:
$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 ([log in to unmask]) (gcc
version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)) #1 SMP Wed Nov 12 06:45:11
EST 2008

$ cat redhat-release
Scientific Linux SL release 5.2 (Boron)

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      3907664 kB
MemFree:       2096508 kB

$ cat partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0  244140625 sda
   8     1     104391 sda1
   8     2  244035382 sda2
 253     0  241991680 dm-0
 253     1    2031616 dm-1

$ rpm -q scim-bridge.x86_64
scim-bridge-0.4.5-8.el5.x86_64

$ rpm -q scim-bridge-gtk.x86_64
scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.5-8.el5.x86_64

$ rpm -q scim-bridge-gtk.i386
scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.5-8.el5.i386
I've no idea if there is any other information which might be useful. If
so, then please let me know. I would really, really appreciate any help
you can provide.

Kind Regards,
Craig