SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Bob Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:16:02 -0700
I certainly don't want to start any flame wars about choosing between
ext3 of XFS.
One reason I was thinking of using XFS was because recently when I set
up an ext3 system, during the setup a note popped up that an fsck would
be forced on the file system after 180 days. Having to take down a
crucial resource for a long period to do an fsck on 2TB of ext3 file
system every 1/2 year is certainly unattractive! I know there are ways
to change this default using tune2fs but I am uncertain what the
implications of doing so are.
My previous experience with AFS file servers has been with AIX3.x -
AIX4.x and Solaris 9 and I essentially turned the systems on and left
them alone for years (literally - they went down whenever the building
power failed for some reason or other). I am hoping that XFS would have
similar characteristics.

--
Bob Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Local Area Administrator (780) 492-5160