SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:05:16 -0600
Brent L. Bates said...

|     Michael Mansour, cut the CRAP/FUD out!  I would NOT depend on ext3 if I

Let's not get nasty.

|CARED about what was stored on my disks.  I ONLY use ext3 if the data stored
|is NOT of "very high importance".  I use XFS when I DO CARE, so I use it all
|the time.  XFS is the most reliable, dependable, and robust file system out
|there and independent tests have consistently shown it to be much faster than
|ext3.  It has far more YEARS and Pentabytes of service under it's belt than
|ext3, a LOT more!  I've had XFS do a much better job of surviving system
|crashes and disk failures than ext3.

We use ext3 in production on desktops, compute servers,
and crucial, fast storage, and have never had a problem
with it.  We have stuck with it because (a) it just works,
(b) we're familiar with it, and (c) it installs by default.

We use xfs on systems where we need something ext3 doesn't
provide (such as many, many millions of inodes, etc).

Both have performed flawlessly for us, ext3 since RH9
or EL3, whenever we installed it.

--
Miles O'Neal

Intrinsity, Inc.       |    [log in to unmask]
11612 Bee Caves Rd.    |    512-421-2242 (v)
Bldg II / Suite 200    |    512-577-3133 (c) <- best bet
Austin, Texas 78738    |    512-263-0795 (f)