SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:12:48 -0600
Simon Clubley wrote:
> I've tried to install SL5.2 on a Acer Aspire One netbook (model
> AOA150-AB, internal 160GB hard disk) using a USB attached DVD drive,
> but I am experiencing a crash when the installation routine tries to
> load the usb_storage module.
>
> No readable information is printed on the screen during the crash,
> only various random accented characters and what looks like characters
> from the graphics symbols part of the PC ASCII character set. The
> machine locks up solid and I am unable to switch to the other virtual
> consoles to see any error messages.
>
> Using the exact same setup with SL5.0 results in a successfully
> installed and bootable installation (but with the expected problems
> with the network and X Windows not working).
>
> At the same point in the SL5.0 installation routine, the module load
> sequence is usb_storage, ata_piix, and then a second load of
> usb_storage.
>
> Before installing another Linux distribution on the netbook, I'd like
> to spend a bit more time trying to find and resolve the problem. Does
> anyone have any ideas about how to go about tracking down the problem
> ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon.

Hi Simon,
I have just successfully booted my Acer AspireOne on the SL 5.3 Beta 2
Live CD.  I wasn't able to do that with SL 5.1 or SL 5.2.  So it looks
like whatever the problems were, have gotten fixed with SL 5.3.
I know it's not fully released yet, but this looks good.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group