SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
"Robert E. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Blair
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:45:39 -0600

You're quite right Troy.  It's not as simple as what I put forth.  I
hadn't appreciated how many "kernel\*"s there were!  My point was that
using "update" leaves you with only the testing kernel and removes your
present working one.  If the testing kernel works out okay then all is
well.  If not you are in a bit of a fix.  The conflict is the kernel\*
versus a specific kernel and its support pieces, not the "update" versus
"install".  As for me, I got lucky.

Cheers,
Bob Blair

Troy Dawson wrote:
| Hi,
| Sorry to contradict you, but if someone does what you say, they will
| install "all* the kernels and *all* the kernel-modules.
| No, do *not* substitute "update" for "install", they mean two totally
| different things.
| Robert, Please explain what happened to you.
| Thanks
| Troy
|
| Robert E. Blair wrote:
|>
|> Don't follow Troy's instructions like I did - how about:
|>
|> yum --enablerepo=sl-testing install kernel\*
|>
|> instead of "update"
|>
|> So far it's okay for me but you might not fare as well!
|>
|> Troy Dawson wrote:
|> | Hello,
|> | There is a new security kernel out for SL5.
|> | It is based off the new kernel from Update 3, and hense, has all it's
|> | changes, including driver updates.
|> | I'm still a little nervous about pushing this out, so I'd like it to be
|> | tested a bit more.
|> | One of the new changes that it has is updated Intel Wireless drivers.
|> | I have the Updated Firmware for these in the same testing area.
|> | I have also included new Intel Firmware we didn't have before, because
|> | it appeared to have the drivers in the kernel now.
|> | I also have the new aufs in that directory.
|> |
|> | To test
|> |
|> | SL5
|> | -------
|> |          yum --enablerepo=sl-testing update kernel\*
|> |
|> | or download
|> |

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/i386/kernel/

|> |
|> |

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/x86_64/kernel/

|> |
|> |
|> | New Things in the directory
|> | aufs
|> | kernel-module-aufs
|> |
|> | xfs-filesystem
|> | kernel-module-xfs
|> |
|> | iwlwifi-3945-ucode
|> | iwlwifi-4965-ucode
|> | iwlwifi-5000-ucode
|> |
|> | Thanks
|> | Troy
|> | --

- --
Robert E. Blair, Room C221, Building 360
Argonne National Laboratory (High Energy Physics Division)
9700 South Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: (630)-252-7545  FAX: (630)-252-5782
GnuPG Public Key: http://www.hep.anl.gov/reb/key.asc