SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:21:20 -0800
On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:47 AM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:08 AM, Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Sorry to contradict you, but if someone does what you say, they will
>>> install
>>> "all* the kernels and *all* the kernel-modules.
>>> No, do *not* substitute "update" for "install", they mean two totally
>>> different things.
>>
>> I think you meant "Do not replace 'update' with 'install'...".  That
>> is, "yum update" is the correct method.
>>
>> I am a Japanese and I myself have some difficulties with the word
>> "substitute". But I understand "to substitute A" implies "to place the
>> word A in there", but not "to replace A".  :)
>
> No. "substitute" does mean remove the old thing and "replace" it with the
> new one. However the order may be different, especially if (as they should
> be) the preposition is different. I think proper grammar is
>        Substitute A for B
>        Replace B with A.
> In both of these B is the old, removed item and A is the new, installed item

This is *exactly* what I wrote/meant above.  :-)  If I were to
rephrase it in a longer form -- When you substitute A (for B), you
will be placing A in there (and in the process removing B) and
therefore it does not mean "you replace A".

We, non-native English speakers tend to use the word "substitute" when
we mean "replace".  To avoid confusion, it is probably best if the
word replace is used instead to substitute.

Akemi