SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:55:50 -0500
Hi Stephen,

On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:36 AM, Stephen J. Gowdy wrote:
> Wouldn't it be best to run SAMBA on the machines that actually have
> the disks?

Our home disk server is currently running Solaris 10.  When we moved
the home disks from an Alpha running Tru64 to this new Sun box, our
Solaris Admin attempted to get Samba running on the Solaris box.  Of
course I don't know the details, but he was never able to make it
work.  He is no longer employed by the lab and was our sol "Solaris
admin" (with many years of experience supporting Solaris), so I am not
hopeful about making Samba work when he couldn't.  Moreover, until we
get the home disks migrated over to a linux server (who knows when
we'll have time for that), we are inclined to touch the current home
disk server as little as possible.

After moving our home disks from the aging Alpha to the Sun box, we
continued to make the home disks accessible over Samba using the Alpha
(which accessed the disks over NFS).  This Alpha recently died,
prompting us to finally move the samba service over to linux.

In addition, we were hoping to limit the proliferation of Samba
servers by having a single "samba" server that users could browse to
for access to all of the required unix filesystems.

Unless there are any other suggestions, we will move the samba service
to an SL4 box where everything just works (using the same smb.conf as
on SL5).

Thanks,
Devin