SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:40:33 -0800
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Ken Teh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A simple question:  I'd like to rebuild the current kernel rpm with minor
> mods to the config.  The procedure I'm following is what's documented for
> RHEL 4, that is,
>
> install the src.rpm
> do an rpmbuild -bp
> cd to /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-<vers>/linux-<vers>/
> make menuconfig
>
> to create the custom .config.  At this point, how do I fold the .config that
> I generate back in so I can simply say 'rpmbuild -ba' and have it generate
> the kernel rpms with my mods?

There is a well-written CentOS wiki on how to build custom kernels.
The instructions are based on CentOS-5 but there are notes whenever
the procedures differ for CentOS-4.

One important thing is that you do not want to do the building as
root.  This is a dangerous practice even if you are an experienced
user (mistakes can happen).

Akemi