SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:55:59 -0600
I would be interested if anyone else with an iwl4965 driver tries
the new driver/firmware and sees their machine lock up from time to time.
In the presence of certain wireless access points (mostly in
Fermilab's Feynman Computing CenteR) my machine locks
up after about 10 minutes, unless I turn my wireless kill switch off.
In other situations mine is fine.

Steve Timm

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hello,
> There is a new security kernel out for SL5.
> It is based off the new kernel from Update 3, and hense, has all it's
> changes, including driver updates.
> I'm still a little nervous about pushing this out, so I'd like it to be
> tested a bit more.
> One of the new changes that it has is updated Intel Wireless drivers.
> I have the Updated Firmware for these in the same testing area.
> I have also included new Intel Firmware we didn't have before, because it
> appeared to have the drivers in the kernel now.
> I also have the new aufs in that directory.
>
> To test
>
> SL5
> -------
>         yum --enablerepo=sl-testing update kernel\*
>
> or download
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/i386/kernel/
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/5rolling/testing/x86_64/kernel/
>
> New Things in the directory
> aufs
> kernel-module-aufs
>
> xfs-filesystem
> kernel-module-xfs
>
> iwlwifi-3945-ucode
> iwlwifi-4965-ucode
> iwlwifi-5000-ucode
>
> Thanks
> Troy
> --
> Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
> Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Assistant Group Leader.