SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Simon Clubley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simon Clubley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 13:58:39 +0000
On 08/02/2009, Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Simon Clubley
>  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  > I've tried to install SL5.2 on a Acer Aspire One netbook (model
>  > AOA150-AB, internal 160GB hard disk) using a USB attached DVD drive,
>  > but I am experiencing a crash when the installation routine tries to
>  > load the usb_storage module.
>
> > Before installing another Linux distribution on the netbook, I'd like
>  > to spend a bit more time trying to find and resolve the problem. Does
>  > anyone have any ideas about how to go about tracking down the problem
>
> Have you seen this wiki?
>
>  http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Acer/Aspire-One
>
>  It's for CentOS 5.2 but probably works for SL5.2.  The author (Scott
>  Robbins) is actively helping in the CentOS forums, so you can get help
>  if you ask in there.  It may sound awkward to suggest to use CentOS
>  forums but I don't see any problem with it, and you are quite welcome
>  there (I am one of the moderators).

Just reporting back for the benefit of anyone else wanting to do this
in the future:

I've found out what is causing the crash - it's the same issue with
the wired ethernet driver as the CentOS people are experiencing. The
fact it's happening at the same time as loading usb_storage appears to
be coincidence.

Theres a window of several seconds between the other virtual consoles
becoming available and the crash occurring. During that time, I was
able to switch consoles and see the crash.

Using the noprobe option causes the external DVD drive to not be seen,
even after usb_storage is manually loaded, so I'm planning on placing
the .iso images in another partition and doing a hard disk based
install as recommended by the CentOS wiki.

Simon.

--
Simon Clubley