SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:43:58 +0100
On 08/02/09 21:51, Simon Clubley wrote:
> I've tried to install SL5.2 on a Acer Aspire One netbook (model
> AOA150-AB, internal 160GB hard disk) using a USB attached DVD drive,
> but I am experiencing a crash when the installation routine tries to
> load the usb_storage module.
[..]
> At the same point in the SL5.0 installation routine, the module load
> sequence is usb_storage, ata_piix, and then a second load of
> usb_storage.
>
> Before installing another Linux distribution on the netbook, I'd like
> to spend a bit more time trying to find and resolve the problem. Does
> anyone have any ideas about how to go about tracking down the problem
> ?

Since your install media is on the USB drive, not loading usbstorage
won't help much. You could see whether you have a lockup or a panic
("blinking" keyboard "LEDs"). However, you could try to boot with

linux text nousb nousbstorage

and see whether any of the previous kernel messages differ.

Depending on how much time you'd like to spend on this, you could set up
a serial console in order to capture more information. Or you could test
whether a SL5.0 install with subsequent upgrade to the 5.2 kernel has
the same symptom on accessing USB media - this should be easier to debug
since hopefully some workable kernel would still be around.  I would
suspect some new-but-flaky support for your chipset, should show in the
boot messages.

usb_storage only has one useful parameter: delay_use=10 on the kernel
command line should give the devices 10sec to wake up properly, in case
you hit some race condition.

cheers
jan