SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Simon Clubley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simon Clubley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 20:51:42 +0000
I've tried to install SL5.2 on a Acer Aspire One netbook (model
AOA150-AB, internal 160GB hard disk) using a USB attached DVD drive,
but I am experiencing a crash when the installation routine tries to
load the usb_storage module.

No readable information is printed on the screen during the crash,
only various random accented characters and what looks like characters
from the graphics symbols part of the PC ASCII character set. The
machine locks up solid and I am unable to switch to the other virtual
consoles to see any error messages.

Using the exact same setup with SL5.0 results in a successfully
installed and bootable installation (but with the expected problems
with the network and X Windows not working).

At the same point in the SL5.0 installation routine, the module load
sequence is usb_storage, ata_piix, and then a second load of
usb_storage.

Before installing another Linux distribution on the netbook, I'd like
to spend a bit more time trying to find and resolve the problem. Does
anyone have any ideas about how to go about tracking down the problem
?

Thanks,

Simon.

--