SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Chris Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 00:22:26 -0500
Miles O'Neal wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> I've started looking for a data visualization tool.
> Prefereably one that lets me select data from a mySQL
> or pSQL database and graphically determine how to
> display it (it has to be usable by techies, managers,
> and admins if possible).  Does such a thing exist?
>
> Thanks,
> Miles
> --
> Miles O'Neal
> 30° 18' 39N, 97° 55' 1W

I think most, if not all, versions of Scientific Linux come with an "R"
install package.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language)
for more info.  There seem to be many available optional packages for
adding extra functionality, such as
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RMySQL/index.html
for adding MySQL functions.  I haven't used it myself, but have it on my
list of things to do someday.  My impression is that you will need
programming skills to make something that is "point and click" for
techies/managers/admins.  However, there are several GUI front ends that
are discussed in the Wiki article.

Another one of my to do someday, is
http://root.cern.ch/
if working in C++ is to your liking.  I don't know if it's capable of
being used with an external database though.

Meanwhile, I pay for (or my boss pays for) the Linux version of MATLAB
for data tasks.

Chris