SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2009

From:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:44:09 -0500
Hi, All.  We are using samba on an SL5.2 server to share filesystems
with our Windows systems.  Everything works properly when sharing a
filesystem that is local to the samba server.  When sharing an nfs
filesystem, however, we see locking issues with *some* file types.

For example, we can only open doc or ppt files read-only using MS
Office on Windows, and get erroneous errors saying that the file is
locked or already being modified.  If you save the file to your
desktop and than drag it back to the samba share, it copies over
without problem.  We can also open txt files using word and edit and
save them directly onto the share without incident.  We only see this
problem on Windows clients, as a Mac can edit doc and ppt files
directly on the share.

I am not able to reproduce this on an SL4 samba server using the exact
same smb.conf.  In addition, the problem remains after updating samba
on SL5 to 3.0.33-3.7 from 5rolling.

So far the only "solutions" we've found, neither of which I'm
comfortable with, are to disable locking ("locking = no") or enable
fake oplocks ("fake oplocks = yes").

Has anyone else encountered this?  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Devin

------
Devin Bougie
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics