SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:36:36 +0000
Just a heads up re possible issue with building the new vnc rpms.

In RHSA-2009-0261 TUV announces an updated VNC to fix a problem with the
vncviewer (which earlier they claimed didn't exist but...)

I note that in the el 5.3 updates for xorg there is a vnc related
statement:

   RHBA-2009-0162

   * the source code for the X server is now provided as a separate
     subpackage. This allows vnc to build from this source rather than an
     upstream source that has not been optimized for Red Hat Enterprise
     Linux. Making this source code available separately ensures that vnc
     on Red Hat Enterprise Linux takes advantage of bug fixes and
     enhancements specific to the operating system.

   xorg-x11-server-1.1.1-48.52.el5.src.rpm

I would guess that part of the delay in TUV getting the new vnc package
out was this work on the xorg setup.  In any case it migth turn out that
the new xorg package is needed - at least to BUILD the new vnc rpms, and
possibly to use them as well.

Not that I've actually looked at the vnc specfile yet - sine my local
mirror of the TUV SRPMS doesn't have the new vnc one in it yet...

  -- Jon

| "Computers are different from telephones.  Computers do not ring." |
|       -- A. Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks", p. 32                  |
| Jon Peatfield, _Computer_ Officer, DAMTP,  University of Cambridge |
| Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/ |