SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2009

From:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:41:39 +0100
Hi Akemi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Also many thanks to your tester(s).
This really helps.

WLAN card: I think that also RHEL/CentOS/SL53 will not recognize the WLAN RaLink RT2561/RT61 card
correctly. I guess it's more a RHEL kernel issue than a LiveCD issue - but I'm only guessing.

Display resolution: Maybe it would help to specify the display resolution on boot prompt with boot
parameter screen:
linux screen=1680x1050
Or for NVIDIA cards. I have added the Nvidia driver on the LiveDVDs (not on the LiveCD). This is not
well tested but one can try to boot with
linux nvidia

Clock: I have seen these kinds of problems before. And I'm quited puzzled.
What I do: The file /etc/sysconfig/clock does not exist on the LiveCD. So my intention was not to
set the time zone. Therefore the system time should be set to the hardware clock. The output of
"date" should be equal to the output of "/sbin/hwclock", which seems not to be the case (always?).
During shutdown the hardware clock is synchronized with the system clock, which screwed up the clock
in the case below.
I think I will remove the synchronization of the hardware clock at shutdown of the LiveCD.
However, I don't understand why the system time is not equal to the hardware time if
/etc/sysconfig/clock is empty.

Cheers,

	Urs

--
Urs Beyerle
Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science

Tel +41 44 632 82 55
Fax +41 44 632 13 11
Web http://www.iac.ethz.ch/people/beyerleu