SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2009

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:14:25 +0000
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>>  February 12, 2009
>>  The secpmd beta release for Scientific Linux 5.3 i386 has been released
>>  for both i386 and x86_64.
>
>>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  CHANGES by Scientific Linux
>>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  **ALPINE
>>  **  Updated to the latest version
>>  **  Our version of alpine 2.00 has the following changes compared to
>>  **  our 1.0 version
>>  **  An /etc/alpine/pine.conf.sample file is installed, no longer
>>  **    overwriting an existing pine.conf  Therefore an existing pine.conf
>>  **    in /etc/alpine will be left untouched even after the upgrade. For
>>  **    an installation from scratch it is advantageous to copy the sample
>>  **    conf file to pine.conf, but alpine works also without it.
>>  **    Users are now able to use a .alpine.passfile
>>  i386:
>>  **	alpine-2.00-1.el5.i386.rpm
>>  x86_64:
>>  **	alpine-2.00-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
>
> Just a heads-up for now (more when I've got to the bottom of it)
> but for installations where alpine uses sendmail to send the mail
> alpine-2.00-1 is not a dropin replacement for v1.10.
>
> I'm used to using smtp-server=
> to tell alpine to use sendmail, but this doesn't work with the
> alpine-2.00-1.el5.x86_64 package. I think I'll have to use
> sendmail-path=/usr/sbin/sendmail ...
>
> This part of the alpine documentation hasn't changed since v1.10.
> Is it a change in the package ?

I don't need to specially set smtp-server or sendmail-path for my alpine
2.0 to work (using the local sendmail to send e-mail).  However I'm not
using the sl alpine package so it might be a bug in the spec/rpm build
environment (e.g. it might only default to a sane sendmail path iff
sendmail is available when alpine is being configured/built).

Looking at configure.ac we have:

dnl OPTION: name of local submission agent
dnl         Might not be sendmail, but it MUST speak SMTP on stdin/stdout
   AC_ARG_WITH(smtp-msa,
   AC_HELP_STRING([--with-smtp-msa=PATH],[Local Mail Submission Agent
(sendmail)]),
     [
       case "$withval" in
 	no)
 	  ;;
 	yes)
 	  AC_PATH_PROG(SENDMAIL, sendmail, "", $PATH:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib)
 	  ;;
 	*)
 	  SENDMAIL=$withval
 	  ;;
       esac
     ],
     [
 	  AC_PATH_PROG(SENDMAIL, sendmail, "", $PATH:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib)
     ])
if test -n "$SENDMAIL" ; then
     AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED([SENDMAIL], "$SENDMAIL", [Local mail submission
agent])
fi

so if the environment of building doesn't have sendmail it won't find it,
so the configure line probably needs --with-smtp-msa=/usr/sbin/sendmail
adding to it (or a buildrequires on something which cases sendmail to be
present).

  -- Jon