SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:42:19 -0600
Troy J Dawson wrote:
> P. Larry Nelson wrote:
>> Hi,
>> This is probably a Troy or Connie question (or a TUV question), but
>> in the course of doing a manual 'yum update' on one of my servers,
>> I happened to notice the following error pass by on the screen
>> (which I normally don't watch - just glanced over to see how it was
>> going).  I've included the line before and after for context.
>>
>>    Cleanup   : tcl                          ##################### [308/345]
>> error: %preun(lam-libs-7.1.2-8.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
>>    Cleanup   : xorg-x11-doc                 ##################### [309/345]
>>
>> I don't think this really affects anything on the system - didn't even
>> know that LAM was installed or even what it does until I did a
>> 'yum info lam'.  Not sure why it's installed but seriously doubt
>> that we make use of it.
>>
>> Anyway, thought I'd pass it on in case there's something in the
>> script that needs fixing.  Then again, it might have failed due
>> to something wrong on my system....
>>
>> An 'rpm -qa | grep lam' yields:
>> lam-7.1.2-15.el4
>> lam-libs-7.1.2-8
>> lam-libs-7.1.2-15.el4
>>
>> - Larry
>
> Hi Larry,
> Just so you know, the scripts for lam-libs have been cleaned up.  It was The
> Upstream Vendor who did it.
>
> Just for your information, here is how to find out what the scripts are/were
>    rpm -q --scripts <rpm>
> So for your case you would do
>    rpm -q --scripts lam-libs-7.1.2-8
>
> And you will see the preun script (a pre uninstall script ran before an rpm is
> uninstalled.)
> ---
> preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
> alternatives --remove mpilibs32 /usr/lib/lam/lam.ld.conf
> ---
>
> The problem with bad preun and postun scripts is that they are next to
> impossible to fix after they are installed.  If they are really bad, the user
> has to manually remove the rpm's.  And such is your case.
>
> To get rid of the problem rpm you need to do
>    rpm -e --noscripts lam-libs-7.1.2-8
>
> Otherwise, you will always have two copies of lam-libs, which may or may not
> affect you.
>
> Troy

Oh, just so you know, the fix wasn't in any errata.  It was a bug fix, and was
part of SL 47.
So people are only going to see this if they had lam-libs installed with SL 4.5
or SL 4.6, and then did a yum update to 4.7.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group