SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:38:27 -0600
P. Larry Nelson wrote:
> Hi,
> This is probably a Troy or Connie question (or a TUV question), but
> in the course of doing a manual 'yum update' on one of my servers,
> I happened to notice the following error pass by on the screen
> (which I normally don't watch - just glanced over to see how it was
> going).  I've included the line before and after for context.
>
>    Cleanup   : tcl                          ##################### [308/345]
> error: %preun(lam-libs-7.1.2-8.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
>    Cleanup   : xorg-x11-doc                 ##################### [309/345]
>
> I don't think this really affects anything on the system - didn't even
> know that LAM was installed or even what it does until I did a
> 'yum info lam'.  Not sure why it's installed but seriously doubt
> that we make use of it.
>
> Anyway, thought I'd pass it on in case there's something in the
> script that needs fixing.  Then again, it might have failed due
> to something wrong on my system....
>
> An 'rpm -qa | grep lam' yields:
> lam-7.1.2-15.el4
> lam-libs-7.1.2-8
> lam-libs-7.1.2-15.el4
>
> - Larry

Hi Larry,
Just so you know, the scripts for lam-libs have been cleaned up.  It was The
Upstream Vendor who did it.

Just for your information, here is how to find out what the scripts are/were
   rpm -q --scripts <rpm>
So for your case you would do
   rpm -q --scripts lam-libs-7.1.2-8

And you will see the preun script (a pre uninstall script ran before an rpm is
uninstalled.)
---
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
alternatives --remove mpilibs32 /usr/lib/lam/lam.ld.conf
---

The problem with bad preun and postun scripts is that they are next to
impossible to fix after they are installed.  If they are really bad, the user
has to manually remove the rpm's.  And such is your case.

To get rid of the problem rpm you need to do
   rpm -e --noscripts lam-libs-7.1.2-8

Otherwise, you will always have two copies of lam-libs, which may or may not
affect you.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group