SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:35:44 +0900
Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I run SL5 on 6 machines, and am considering building a low power
> browsing/email machine running SL5.  It will probably use an Atom
> mini-ITX board and a 30GB solid state drive - no moving parts, and
> using less than 40 watts.  I will do the usual /tmp in ramdisk
> and "noatime" in /etc/fstab, among other flash-friendly tweaks.
>
> Although the boot partition will be ext2/3 , I am considering
> making the main partition with the JFFS file system - the
> Journalling Flash File System.  That is not built into the
> SL5 kernel ... it is a module instead.  I'm wondering if the
> system will be able to find the JFFS module if /etc and /lib
> and /bin are stored as JFFS.   Probably not.  Does anyone know?

ext3 is a module. In Debian, the IDE drivers were modules last I looked.

The trick is to learn how to get the modules into the initial ram disk,
that's read by the boot loader (using BIOS calls on peecees).

I don't recall how it all works on EL, I'd start by reading the mkinitrd
script. Again.

Once you figure it out, very little should change.

It might be as easy as adding a file to /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd,
containing "MODULES=jffs2"

--

Cheers
John