SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:03:15 -0800
I run SL5 on 6 machines, and am considering building a low power
browsing/email machine running SL5.  It will probably use an Atom
mini-ITX board and a 30GB solid state drive - no moving parts, and
using less than 40 watts.  I will do the usual /tmp in ramdisk
and "noatime" in /etc/fstab, among other flash-friendly tweaks.

Although the boot partition will be ext2/3 , I am considering
making the main partition with the JFFS file system - the
Journalling Flash File System.  That is not built into the
SL5 kernel ... it is a module instead.  I'm wondering if the
system will be able to find the JFFS module if /etc and /lib
and /bin are stored as JFFS.   Probably not.  Does anyone know?

I can compile my own kernel, of course, but I lose the advantage
of automated updates.  I can also build the main partition with
ext2/3, and move the frequently varying stuff like /var and
/home into separate JFFS partitions.  I would rather use JFFS
for as much as I can, though.  Updates could be extremely slow
if too much of the system is ext2/3 .

Ideas?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993