SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:19:50 +0900
Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Michael Mansour wrote:
>
>>> A hundred emails or a single giant web page ?
>>> Not clear that one is much better than the other.
>>
>> IMHO the long web page is much better.
>>
>> Going through, say, 200 emails in a Webmail client (usually taking a 5-10
>> seconds to click the delete/trash button) typically takes anywhere
>> from 45mins
>> to an hour for me. I have to read many of the emails too so it doesn't
>> take
>> 5-10 seconds most of the time.
>
> Ah. I read my email with pine/alpine, which allows me to sort by subject
> then select successive emails by holding down a key on auto-repeat.

Ditto, and I do it on a virtual console on framebuffer (160x64). If I
want do delete lots of mail, I type xydddddd on another screen (ten or
so Ds) then double-click so I can the  return to PINE, alternatively
licenced or not, and paste it and the have the screen scroll so I can
see a few more.

> The subtle little differences can make a big difference to the usability

I ndeed. The idea of webmail doesn't appeal to me at all.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait