SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:12:18 +0900
vivek chal wrote:
> Hello all !
>
> After i download any scientific Linux distro from the internet, i have to
> burn it to a DVD, CD or a number of CDs to install it. That CD or DVD is
> generally used only once after which it lies unused , and worse, almost
> every Linux distro comes up with a new release every 6 months.i have dozens
> of CDs lying at the bottom of my drawer where they get scratches. What a
> wastage of CDs!

You can always use rewritable media. That way, procedures remain exactly
the same.

> i want to make a usb harddisk(linux bootable) that contain all the
> scientific linux versions so that i can install  any  linux  on any  system
> by just  changing  the boot  order  from  cdrom  to  usb  .
> It will make me to add any new versions on the installation harddisk and
> make my work easier.
> i want to get rid of using cds and dvds.
>
> Can anyone help me in making that kind of linux bootable installation hdd.

You will pay a premium for the USB drive over using optical media,
rewritable or not, and there's no need to keep them when you've finished
with them.

If you do go USB, contemplate a notebook drive in a USB enclosure. The
disks are faster and more capacious, and fit nicely into a shirt pocket
from which you can drop them with great ease when bending over;-)

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait