SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:59:22 +0900
Ken Teh wrote:
> I recommend using a live CD distro.  This may or may not apply to you
> but typically an embedded system is something you want to be able to
> switch off and on with a button.  If your embedded SL mounts a hard disk
> partition as /, especially if it is mounted read-write, you really
> should use 'shutdown' to shut the system off.  Otherwise you run the
> risk of disk integrity problems.  It's happened to me before and when it
> happens you will need to build the system again.  A live CD distro runs
> entirely out of RAM so it's CD image remains pristine through reboots.

  SL ought power down in an orderly fashion when the power button is
pressed.

/usr can be (standards require it) be mounted ro.
/ should be able to be mounted ro without too much fuss (tmpfs
everywhere that must be written, consider /var/tmp whose contents are (I
think) normally required to survive reboots.

/tmp can be discarded, /var/lock and /var/run almost certainly, but
ordinarily /var as a whole is writable and not volatile.

I see problems with any standard livecd:
1. Too much junk
2. Generally it's intended to demonstrate a desktop environment, not to
run a server. It might not comprehend the idea of retaining data over boots.
3. If you want database software such as postgresql it's probably not
configured to run.

Creating your own bootCD that has all your required software installed
and ready to run is a fine idea, but maybe not better than and ro
filesystem (which could be nfs from another server and so easy to
maintain should the need arise). There are several standard
possibilities, maybe the easiest way to discover them is to build a
custom kernel and see what's offered when you choose filesystems.

-- spambait
[log in to unmask]  [log in to unmask]
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php