SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:46:07 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Kahae Han wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Sorry I am a newbie on trying to install linux.
>> I installed SL4.7 on a sony vaio i purchased recently but it will
>> not  recognize either the
>> wireless (Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100) or ethernet (Marvell Yukon
>> 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller)
>> I really would like SL4.7 to be the linux on this laptop as the all
>> the softwares I use need compilers version 3.4 and i know that SL5XX
>> has a way of switching back to the older compilers but still even
>> the  latest SL5.2 seems to come with kernel which doesn't have the
>> intel  wireless at any rate.
>> Is there any way I can get the wireless and the ethernet LAN to work
>> on the SL4.7?
>> thank you!
>>
>> kahae
>
> Hello,
> To answer your last question first
>
> Is there any way I can get the wireless and the ethernet LAN to work
> on the SL4.7?
> Wireless - No
> I'm sorry, but SL 4 has never even has support for Intel wireless
> 4965, let along 5100.  It just doesn't have the infrastructure in the
> kernel or out of the kernel to support it.
> Wired - I don't know.
> If it currently isn't recognized, then the odds are against you.  I
> don't know about that particular ethernet card.  It's possible that it
> will be supported in SL 4.8, but that is still at least 4 months away,
> probrubly 6.
>
> Are those network adapters supported in SL 5.2?
> Wireless - Currently no
> It will be supported in SL 5.3.
> Wired - Again, I don't know.  But I thought it was.
>
> Troy
The wired you should be able to get working by downloading and
installing the latest driver from source.  The latest driver for sk98lin
can be found here:
http://www.syskonnect.eu/e_en/support/driver_searchresults.html?navanchor=10013&term=typ.treiber+produkt.SK-9E21D&produkt=produkt.SK-9E21D&typ=typ.treiber&system=
at the bottom of the page.  I just verified that the 88E8040 is listed
in the source.

Cheers,
Mark

--