SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:28:45 -0600
Kahae Han wrote:
> Hi!
> Sorry I am a newbie on trying to install linux.
> I installed SL4.7 on a sony vaio i purchased recently but it will not
> recognize either the
> wireless (Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100) or ethernet (Marvell Yukon
> 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller)
> I really would like SL4.7 to be the linux on this laptop as the all
> the softwares I use need compilers version 3.4 and i know that SL5XX
> has a way of switching back to the older compilers but still even the
> latest SL5.2 seems to come with kernel which doesn't have the intel
> wireless at any rate.
> Is there any way I can get the wireless and the ethernet LAN to work
> on the SL4.7?
> thank you!
>
> kahae

Hello,
To answer your last question first

Is there any way I can get the wireless and the ethernet LAN to work on the SL4.7?
Wireless - No
I'm sorry, but SL 4 has never even has support for Intel wireless 4965, let
along 5100.  It just doesn't have the infrastructure in the kernel or out of
the kernel to support it.
Wired - I don't know.
If it currently isn't recognized, then the odds are against you.  I don't know
about that particular ethernet card.  It's possible that it will be supported
in SL 4.8, but that is still at least 4 months away, probrubly 6.

Are those network adapters supported in SL 5.2?
Wireless - Currently no
It will be supported in SL 5.3.
Wired - Again, I don't know.  But I thought it was.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group