SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2008

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 23:43:29 -0500
Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This area is quite new to me so I thought I'd ask this general question.
>
> I have a requirement where I need to setup an LDAP server and then have a web
> form available where people can fill out their details (name, address, etc)
> and have that web form effectively create an account on the LDAP server.
>
> In terms of the LDAP facility, I have previously installed and run OpenLDAP a
> few times over the times, but never in production (just to learn it). But I'm
> after some recommendations noting the requirement above.
>
> * Should I use OpenLDAP for this?
>
> * Should I use Fedora Directory Server for this?
>
> * Should I use something else for LDAP directory services?
>
> In terms of the Web form, is there anyone that knows what I can use here? like
> a current project or current piece of software (non-commercial) that does this?
>
> Thanks for any tips, recommendations and advice.
>
> Michael.

It's a complex topic, so much depends on the scope of your environment &
if the LDAP system with be a central authentication server or just a
backend for an email directory. The IPA/SSO/DS market
(LDAP+Kerberos+SASL/GSS Authentication) is the final frontier for
Enterprise SysAdmin. Also, there are many commercial choices that may
simplify the install & config process, if you have a budget. Although I
have little experience with implementing them, here are some links to
things that you may want to evaluate. -HTH Art@JAX

phpLDAPadmin (PLA) - LDAP browser to manager your LDAP server -
SourceForge.net
http://phpldapadmin.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

LAM - LDAP Account Manager - SourceForge.net

Webmin - LDAP Modules
http://www.webmin.com/standard.html

LDAP Users Admin - Webmin LDAP User Admin tool - SourceForge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ldap-users/

Yet Another LDAP Administrator
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yala/

CentOS Directory Server On CentOS 5.2 - howtoforge.com
http://www.howtoforge.com/centos-directory-server-on-centos5.2

How To Build Red Hat Enterprise IPA RPMs For CentOS 5 - howtoforge.com
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-build-rhel-ipa-rpms-for-centos-5

SASL GSSAPI Kerberos Design - Fedora Directory Server
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SASL_GSSAPI_Kerberos_Design

Free IPA - Main Page - freeipa.org
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Main_Page

Likewise - OSS that Authenticates Linux, Unix, and Mac systems with
Microsoft Active Directory
http://www.likewisesoftware.com/products/likewise_open/

Penrose is a java-based virtual directory server - Safehaus
http://docs.safehaus.org/display/PENROSE/Home

OpenDS Wiki - About
https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/About

OpenSSO - the opensource version of Sun's Access Manager
https://opensso.dev.java.net/public/use/index.html

Zimbra - Open Source email server software and shared calendar for Linux
and the Mac
http://www.zimbra.com/

--
Art Wildman/ITO - NWS-JAX http://www.weather.gov/jax/
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead