SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-ERRATA Archives

December 2008

SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-ERRATA@LISTSERV.FNAL.GOV

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:49:18 -0600
A new yum has been released for Scientific Linux 4 that has the versionfix
plugin taken out of it.  The yum versionfix plugin has been moved to it's own rpm.
The developers would like to thank everyone for all your patience while we
fixed this poorly named rpm's.

SL 4.x

      SRPMS:
yum-2.4.3-10.SL.src.rpm
yum-versionfix-1.0-10.sl4.src.rpm
      i386:
yum-2.4.3-10.SL.noarch.rpm
yum-versionfix-1.0-10.sl4.noarch.rpm
      x86_64:
yum-2.4.3-10.SL.noarch.rpm
yum-versionfix-1.0-10.sl4.noarch.rpm

Troy Dawson

Troy J Dawson wrote:
> A new yum has been released with an updated versionfix.list
> We believe this will be the last update for versionfix.list for SL4, and this
> problem should be completely resolved.
>
> SL 4.x
>
>      SRPMS:
> yum-2.4.3-5.SL.src.rpm
>      i386:
> yum-2.4.3-5.SL.noarch.rpm
>      x86_64:
> yum-2.4.3-5.SL.noarch.rpm
>
> Troy Dawson
>
> Troy J Dawson wrote:
>> Synopsis:       Moderate: yum security update
>> Issue date:     2008-10-06
>>
>> When RedHat started putting the %{dist} variable into their rpm names, it took
>> the Scientific Linux developers a while to believe that was what they were
>> really going to settle on. (There were two other distribution naming schemes
>> RedHat used before this, so we thought this one would only last a month or
>> two.)  As a result, we ended up with several security updates with poor names.
>>   These poorly named packages could not be updated when newer security updates
>> came out.
>>
>> This yum update contains a plugin called "versionfix".  Versionfix allows yum
>> to update poorly named packages.  These poorly named packages will be updated
>> the next time yum is run.  On a normal system, this will be the next day.
>>
>> SL 4.x
>>
>>     SRPMS:
>> yum-2.4.3-4.SL.src.rpm
>>     i386:
>> yum-2.4.3-4.SL.noarch.rpm
>>     x86_64:
>> yum-2.4.3-4.SL.noarch.rpm
>>
>> -Connie Sieh
>> -Troy Dawson

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group