SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:30:23 +0800
Ken Teh wrote:
> I'm getting confused with the sda/hda naming conventions.  I thought all
> SATA disks were sd devices.  They were a while back but apparently, not
> anymore.  And, I can't seem to make any sense of when an sda is an hda.
> I'm currently installing a system with a SATA system disk that has a IDE
> CDROM.  A systemrescuecd (Gentoo based kernel) identifies the disk as an
> sda.  But the 5.2 installer says it's an hda.  There's a single IDE
> connector on the MB on which hangs a CDROM drive.  Apparently, it's not an
> hda.  What is it?  An sda?
>
> What gives?

The real answer is, "It depends."

It depends on which driver is used.

I have an all SATA system. By default, on SL5 the first drive is hda.
However, as I recall performance sucked so someone here suggested I tell
the kernel "hda=noprobe." With this argument, the drive appears as sda.

On a similar system running Fedora, the first drive is normally sda, and
I don't know whether I can make it appear as hda without rebuilding the
kernel.

I note that the new naming convention is causing problems with somewhat
randomised naming of drives, particularly when installing with Anaconda.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait