SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Steve Gaarder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Gaarder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 14:09:05 -0400
In many cases, the BIOS will emulate an IDE drive for OSes that don't
recognize the SATA controller.  THis behavior is usually selectable in the
setup menu.  It may be that the Gentoo disk has the SATA driver, and sees
the disk that way, while the SL disk lacks the driver and sees the BIOS
emulation.  Generally, you get better, sometimes much better, performance
with the SATA driver.

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA