SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2008

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:53:35 -0500
Jan vandenBerg said...

|Hi, Miles. We recently switched from wu-imap to dovecot, mainly to gain
|support for multiple read/write sessions per mailbox, and to reap the
|performance gains of Dovecot's indexes on old-fashioned mbox files. We've
|been very pleased with the results. In our case, we already had folks
|using a pretty consistent folder location, and we felt like it was worth
|the effort to help migrate the few stragglers in order to converge on One
|True Folder Location. But if you have some knowledge of where folks store
|their mail folders and don't want to deal with migrating everybody to one
|location, I _think_ you can simply specify multiple folder paths in
|dovecot's mail_location setting.

The problem is that we don't know everywhere they are.
Once upon a time, the common *nix mail clients used a
common location.  The big question was whether to use
~/mail or ~/Mail.  Over the past decade, however, the
GUI-based clients have started splattering email all
over the place.  We are understaffed and don't really
have the bandwidth to track them all down...

At some point in the future  we'll do this, but this
week we just needed to get off an overloaded server
ASAP.

[snippage]

Thanks for the info; I'll file it against the day
we can move up to dovecot.

-Miles